Monday, July 22, 2013

Summer Reading 2013 Aesop's Fables

When I was a kid (yes, I really was a kid once), my parents signed me up for the Weekly Reader Book Club. I remember that one of the books I enjoyed was a small collection of Aesop's fables. I loved the stories of the fox tricking the crow or the lion and the mouse. So I was pleased to see that Scholastic has a new edition of Aesop's Fables that they are releasing August 27, 2013.

This is an easy-to-read collection. The brief length of the fables makes them attractive because you can read a few, then come back later and read a few more. The wording is kid-friendly and having the morals at the end of each entry is very convenient. I would recommend this to anyone interested in learning where we get phrases such as "sour grapes" or "crying wolf".  And I'm sure that teachers will be glad to have more examples of fables to share when the class is studying them in language arts.

The author who retold the fables for this book has created 55 books for children in her career and has her own website. You will probably recognize some of her books because we have them in the library, or maybe you even have them at home. I hope you enjoy Aesop's Fables and remember, "Don't count your chickens before they hatch!"



No comments:

Post a Comment