Monday, July 29, 2013

Summer Reading 2013 50 Below Zero

I enjoy Robert Munsch's humor; The Paper Bag Princess is one of my favorites. So I tried out his new board book, 50 Below Zero, today. This was a much shorter story, since it was a board book, but it was still fun to read. The places that the child-narrator keeps discovering his dad are wacky and unusual. His solution for keeping his sleepwalking father safe is ingenious. And the last scene is the very best - it will make everyone laugh. (I can't tell you more because it wouldn't be as funny if I spoiled the surprise.)

This would be a good bedtime story, or a quick "pick-me-up" for someone who is feeling sad. It's hard to stay sad when you are laughing at a father asleep on top of a refrigerator like a cat.

Fans of Mr. Munsch and his books should visit his website. There is information about his books and his life. Someone has also posted a recording of Mr. Munsch reading the picture book version of 50 Below Zero on YouTube. (The picture book is longer than the board book.)

I read an e-book provided by the publisher through NetGalley, but the book is already in stores.

50 Below Zero

No comments:

Post a Comment