Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Summer Reading 2013 I Survived the Japanese Tsunami, 2011

The "I Survived" series is popular in our school, so I was happy to see that a new title is coming out this fall.  Book # 8 is I Survived the Japanese Tsunami, 2011 and it will be released on August 27, 2013. The story of Ben Kudo and his experience in surviving the tsunami is very well told. It is tense and action-packed without being too scary. One of my favorite parts is when Ben's brother needs stitches, but he's afraid of needles. Ben, his mom, and the doctor, convince little Harry that the stitches will give him a scar - and he will be like Darth Vader, because he has scars. Suddenly, Harry is ready to sit still and get stitches!

The back of the book has explanations of the "triple disaster" - the earthquake, the tsunami, and the problems at the nuclear power plant. There are also suggestions for where to find more information. Someone who is interested in disasters or famous events in history would enjoy this whole series. Some of the stories, like this one, are from fairly recent times and others are from further back in history. Now that I have read this one, I am curious what the next one will be. We have the series in the library if you would like to try one.

On the author's website she says that she loves hearing from her readers. Why don't you contact her and tell her which book is your favorite? Or give her a suggestion of a famous disaster that you think would make a great addition to the series. Scholastic has a video interview with the author on their "I Survived" web page. *We have a copy of this in the Fairview library.

tsunami md

I hope you have had a good summer and that you won't have any disasters to tell me about when you come back to school.       :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment