Monday, August 25, 2014

Summer Reading 2014 Jet Plane: How It Works

13170030

I love David Macaulay's books. They always amaze me with the way he can break complex things down into their components and make them understandable. His book, The Way Things Work, is a favorite in our library. So when I discovered David Macaulay's My Readers books, I was extremely pleased. They are just 32 pages long, but still filled with all his intricately labeled and diagrammed illustrations and compelling explanations of different nonfiction topics. To help with learning more about each topic, the books have a glossary, an index, and a list of suggested books and other media to explore.

Since I love planes and flying, I read Jet Plane: How It Works and thought about how much my fellow aerospace educator buddies would love to have copies of this book to use with their students. How in the world does he fit so much into such a small book? There are diagrams of how planes pull away from the terminal and the interior of a jet engine; explanations of lift, thrust, and how to steer a plane; and the glossary is built around a diagram of the plane with all the parts nicely labeled. There is much more than that, but you need to see it for yourself.

I recommend this to any reader who enjoys books about planes or transportation in general, and the parents and teachers of those readers. We have added a copy of this book to our library.

No comments:

Post a Comment