Saturday, November 11, 2017

Fall Reading 2017 My First Book of Soccer: A Rookie Book: Mostly Everything Explained About the Game

31934694

Sports are not my thing. When my knee gives me trouble, I let everyone know that it is a marching band injury. But the Sports Illustrated Kids Rookie Books make sports easy to understand for everyone. My First Books of Soccer begins with a description of team size, the object of the game, and a diagram of the field. Photographs of players and officials are used to illustrate each concept that is discussed. Two cartoon kids comment on things they notice and make jokes. One says, "Dribble? Here, take a bib." The other replies, "Oh, sheesh."Speech bubbles are added to the photographs to create even more humor. In a spread showing a player taking a shot at the goal, she thinks "I hope I don't stub my toe" and the goalie thinks, "I hope she stubs her toe." Or when a player fouls another she says, "Sorry! My bad!" and the player who was fouled says, "So not cool!"

A set of these books would be constantly checked out in a library setting, since even those who don't have an ambition to play the spot will still enjoy the funny characters and speech or thought bubbles. It might be an interesting activity to read some of the books in class, and then have students create their own guide books - complete with the additional bubble comments. 

If you have a young reader that is into sports and enjoys learning the rules and playing positions, then find this series for them. You will score for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment